Monday, July 14, 2008

Surprise! We had a baby!



I came across this piece of art work the other day, done by my crazy talented husband. This is the sketch we were going to use on an announcement to tell our parents that the future Sam was on the way. But.....we chickened out and told them first, we couldn't wait the excruciating three days or so it would have taken to send it all the way across the country to my parents. Looking back I wish we had sent it but with all the excitement, anxiety, and sheer terror of our news we opted to, instead act like we were 16 year old highschoolers who had just done the dirty deed after a dance-less dance(you know the ones, everyone standing around holding up the gymnasium wall), got knocked up and had to have a sit down with the 'rents.

I called my parents crying, because for some hormonally induced reason I thought they would be upset that we hadn't waited like a hundred years in to our marriage to make babies. They responded instead with excitement and happiness, and I believe my dad said "it's about time". But, my mom added later "I told you no babies until you're 30!" (Which, by the way I have been hearing since I was 2 months old.)

We showed up unexpectedly and abruptly at Paul's mom's house later that evening and clumsily shared the news with her, which I believe put her into a state of temporary shock. After what seemed like a gestation period she finally, with her head rested on her hands at the dining room table, repeated to herself, "We're having a baby. We're having a baby."(which was when I finally resumed breathing again.) As if to convince herself that I was not some floozy in chiffon Paul picked up at the Winter Fantasy Formal. (or am I? hmmmmm)

And then I sent Paul to work the next day to tell his dad at the office. Lovely. I believe Mr. Paul B's response was, "I'm not old enough to be a grandfather!" Again hormonally induced, I think I may have cried thinking that he would hate me forever for prematurely making him a grandfather and thus end my life instantaneously. Great idea, glad I recovered and that Carrie called later that day to congratulate and celebrate with us. Because after all the tears and stress of telling our parents we would have to drop out during our Sophomore year, have a shotgun wedding and raise our baby in their unfinished basement, we realized that we were adults now and not Ked's wearing highschoolers, we were also incredibly ready, excited and well equipped by aforementioned parents to embark on this adventure.

e

No comments: