Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sam's Greatest Hits--Vol. I

I didn't know many nursery rhymes before Sam was born. I had no reason to. Even now--with a small, small baby boy gleefully willing to listen to my off-key crooning--I seem to have the power to summon only the very first few words or bars of even the most popular children's melodies.

For instance, 'This lil piggy went to the market...'. I know he went to the market, but where did the other 9 swine go? When Dad does it, they end up at TJMaxx, Starbucks, getting their peds done and the mall. Elise does such a heart-warming rendition of "Itsy Bitsy Spider" it brings Sam back from the brink of hysterical caterwauling to a state of such soporific calm you thought she'd hit him with a tranquilizer dart. I can't even sing "Ba Ba Black Sheep" without devolving into an unintelligble mumble by the 2nd stanza.

Some may find cause to run to B&N or click on Amazon and order a book or nursery rhymes to fill this substanital gap in their child's upbringing. More often than not, we make up our own nursery rhymes, instead.

The following ditty is sung to the tune of the Eagles' "Take it Easy":



"Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Jupiter, Florida

such a fine sight to see

It's Sam Hanna in a Mini Cooper slowin down to pick up his daddy

Come on, daaaaddy, don't say maaaaybe

I gotta get you to the office before

Mr. Paaaaul Beeeeeeee

Jidouou...jidouou...jidouou (ad infinitum)

Sam is gonna saaaave me, oh oh oh"



(footnote: Jidou is Arabic for grandfather, i.e. my dad :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you have the song for Sam's first music video!?