Tuesday, January 20, 2009

George Washington on the banks of the Delaware

"I once felt all that kind of anger, which a man ought to feel, against the mean principles that are held...a noted one, who kept a tavern at Amboy, was standing at his door, with as pretty a child in his hand, about eight or nine years old, as I ever saw, and after speaking his mind as freely as he thought was prudent, finished with this unfatherly expression, 'Well! give me peace in my day.' Not a man lives on this continent but fully believes that a separation must sometime or other finally take place, and a generous parent should have said, 'If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace'; and this single reflection, well applied, is sufficient to awaken every man to duty..."


--George Washington on the banks of the Delaware

No comments: