Friday, April 3, 2009

Run for the Border

The title of this blog does not refer to the ongoing drug conflict along the Mexican border. It symbolizes my Friday "Guilt-Free-Confession"......Skunkin and I went to Taco Bell. Eeks! There. I said it. But before I am vilified for subjecting my son to the 4th meal, let me just say, Taco Bell is not kid friendly. First of all, they don't have a kid's menu, per se. Yes, I ordered Sam a $.99 cheese quesadilla which he showed absolutely no interest in (why is that every time Elise and I go out and order something for Sam off the kiddie menu he shows absolutely no interest in it, whereas if we were to decide not to order something for him he would accuse of us intentionally starving him to death, i.e. the $7 bowl of mac and cheese (brief aside: yes! $7 for mac and cheese!!!) at CPK he acted like was a bowlful of rat poison). Instead, he happily munched on the gooey fried bread of my Chalupa shell. (yes, a Chalupa. Hey, I went all out, okay?) Second of all, they don't have milk. None. Nada. No tienen leche. The woman didn't even understand what I was asking for so she gave me 2 soda cups like I was going to give Sam Mt. Dew (which, now that I think about it, she's probably seen a lot of). I even asked her for "leche", but she told me Taco Bell doesn't have leche. No leche. Ay carumba!

Not to say that our Run For The Border was the highlight of our day. I had to run to Zero Beach this morning to attempt to resuscitate my slowly imploding career in commercial real estate. I don't want to jinx myself, but someone must have fired up the defibrillator. A positive meeting with Planet Fitness for 11,360 sf was followed by a call on our last vacancy. Recession schmession. Meanwhile, Sam played with his 2 favorite playmates after Mom and Dad. Nanny and Aunt Jackie. If Sam is still struggling with separation anxiety, he didn't show it this morning. I went to say goodbye and he waved me off like I was a door-to-door encyclopedia salesman or a Hare Krishna, "Yeah yeah yeah seeya later, old man. I got someone new to play with!"

I nixed a trip to fix the thermostat on the hot water heater in the condo partly due to my complete ignorance in all things plumbing and took Skunkin to the Juno pier instead. We met an older gentleman sporting a Wharton t-shirt and a Dartmouth ballcap who showed us a wallet shot (he needed an LBB (little brag book :) of his 14-month old granddaughter. When we asked him if he'd caught anything he replied, "Not much but a good bit of sunshine and fresh air." I appreciated that response. Sam chased the

{break in writing to comfort son who couldn't find his pacey}

Sam chased the terns up and down the pier. No one was catching anything, except a few surfers in a half-decent swell.

I heard Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" a few times on 95.5 today. I turned it up every time with a shout out to Hewie. I was feeling down last night. Maybe I was just tired. Even today, rested, I couldn't stay ahead of this kid. But by distilling a few moments from today, I was able to conclude that one can weather most anything given sunshine, fresh air and.......loud music. Go ahead. Crank it up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngf5Oo_XrjI

No comments: