Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Zonked

I don't know what we did today that tuckered Sam out so much. He was rolling on the floor of his room fighting sleep at 6:30. I knew I had to act fast to avert Morpheus' grasp, so I strapped Sam into the jogging stroller for a quick tour of the alleyways of Valencia. 45 minutes later he was zonked out in the stroller. He never opened his eyes again, not as I carefukky hoisted him from the stroller and up three flights of stairs, not as I changed his diatey and gave him his blanket and kissed him goodnight.

The highlight of our day was most likely the tortoise rescue. As we were walking out the front door on our way to the pool (which was, disappointingly, closed. The deluge of yesterday flooded the pump room and fried the pump) we spotted a huge tortoise ambling down the sidewalk. Sam and I knew we had to act quickly in order to save this poor turtle's life. Sure enough, he was eyeing Galicia Way with thoughts of crossing to the wooded preserve where the other gopher tortoises live. So I commandeered Sam's walking cart and dropped the turtle in and scooted him across the street. Sam approved.

Afterwards, since our pool was closed, we went to the Jupiter community pool instead. But it was cold and univiting and perhaps a little too vast for Sam's liking. He never showed much exuberance for the idea, so I didn't push it. Instead, we watched the divers spring off the boards for half an hour then came home for dinner.

Dinner is usually followed by a bath. Sam is getting much better at shampooing his own hair (and Dad's leg hair! :)


No comments: