Monday, May 25, 2009

Fear


The other day Sam and I went to an indoor play-gym. This was a first for us, typically we don't do sing-songy mommy and me type things, we would rather be rebels and carouse around outside searching for hidden dirt piles in our neighborhood to make mud pies in, color science-fiction animals and hunt squirrels and lizards. We (and I can definitely speak for both of us) don't enjoy discussion of "so and so" getting on to 'x' preschool's waiting list, or the dreaded "economy", or to see Johnny picking his nose in the corner and wiping it the slide while his mom continues such a conversation.

Anyway, we did it and it was filled with kids and moms and dads and babies and a giant trampoline, with a slide that emptied into a pit of foam squares. It had a giant bounce-house slide and a play kitchen, it even had lattes for the parent-folk and snacks for the kids. I was pleasantly surprised by it all.... until I witnessed this, and then I remembered why I don't fit in here, why I don't have a million mommy friends and why I don't care to.

A little boy about three years old was playing dress-up with one of the hundred costumes from the costume closet. He was adorable and dressed from head to toe in a pink ballerina costume. When the mother, who had been chatting away on her cell phone from behind the viewing glass, saw him twirling in pink she flew thorough the swinging double doors, off her cell phone and dragged the kid quickly back to the costume area, quickly undressed him and told him (and the onlooking parents whom she glanced at embarrassed and apologetically) to find a more 'gender appropriate' costume.

If this had been Sam, I'd have told him he looked "beautiful" and "you SO need a tiara to go with that, let's go find one!" I aim to not teach my child to fear, to conform or to be ashamed of anything that he is passionate about, be it ruby slippers and a tu-tu or his comic book collection. In fact, I hope that he tries on a dress, if it's not the thing for him, I encourage him to try other things, not to be scared, not to be embarrassed and certainly not to avoid something because of fear instilled in people, in our society.

I have often been the one to say "yes" when someone told me "no." In fact I'd say "yes" just because I was told "no." It has not always taken me down the smoothest, most well paved path, but had I not veered on to some rocky roads I would have never found what it was I was looking for. My husband 3,500 miles on the most opposite side of the country. A sweet angel baby. A business that fuels my soul and feeds my family. I will continue to say "yes" when others say "no," take a chance, follow the road less travelled, so I can experience more adventure, deeper love and better understanding of other people and life. I hope that Sam will do the same, intelligently, confidently and safely.




rebel baby


rebel mom

rebel dad (well not such a rebel, but he did have 'classic' in his iced coffee that day!)


*all photo courtesy of my iphone

No comments: