Thursday, September 3, 2009

Our Babies as Stick People


I have to let Elise explain MOPS to you. In brief, it stands for Mothers Of Pre-Schoolers. I thought she was joking when she said they did a lot of 'crafting'! :)

ps #2's diaper is homemade. Let's just hope his/hers real diapers are a little sturdier!


eta:

!!!!!!!!Ok. let me just start by saying that this is a cult of moms that brainwashed me and sucked me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok now that I got that out. I came to a little group when I was pregnant with Sam that my friend recommended, I was in need of a good education on what the 'typical' mom did, and I got it...but after returning for another year with babe in arms and a lot about motherhood to learn, I have learned much more. (I was even brainwashed into joining the leadership team as graphic design, creativity maven extraordinaire)

What I've learned:

1. There is no such thing as the 'typical' mom, all moms are different. We may parent the same or dress the same but no one does anything exactly identical and nobody should. All kids are different, families are different and different things work for different people. (except bringing your sick kid to a room of other healthy kids and for that you idiot mom, should be bitch-slapped)

2. Crafts are fun. I've always dug a good craft, ask Paul I have an entire walk-in-closet of craft supplies. All crafts are however not created equal and most of the crafts we do at this group should be done only in a closet where no one can see you. However, each craft when done with a loved one, a good friend, or stranger becomes much more than a craft, it becomes and experience. One that yields a silly stick doll that represents your babies, that you love because it is your mini Popsicle stick of your child/baby and because the women you made them with have the same love for their Popsicle sticks/children :) Seriously I almost cried when I made those stupid things today (hormonal much?) there is nothing like being able to hold a Popsicle stick replica of your toddler and the baby in your tummy in one hand. Sheesh.

3. You are never to good for anything, ever. You may think you are, but you will also be lonely with no one to blame but your goodness.

4. Fashion is very important to me. Still. Always. Forever. NO sweat pants, no mom-jeans, no bad hair.

5. I can learn a lot from other people, and I have. I've learned what I want to do and what I don't want to do as a mom. I'm sure I've taught others the same and that is good anyway you slice it.

I swore wholeheartedly I'd never join a moms group. It isn't my 'bag' but I'm glad I did, I'm better for it, humbled by it, inspired by other women and reminded that we are all working toward a common goal, love and peace and happiness and success for our families, for our children and for our marriages.

Case closed. Stop trying to out me from my moms group closet Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gosh.
My facade is much to cool for that :)

No comments: