Monday, January 4, 2010

Hide and Seek

I know I have a lot of catching up to do. I think you will understand, when you take into consideration how much has happened in the last week. I want to write down my thoughts on Sam's 2nd Christmas, his 2nd birthday and the birth of our 2nd son, Peter, before the memories fade. Needless to say, we have had a very busy house the past few days.

Yesterday afternoon, a cold front (it really was cold!) settled in. Sam and I snuck outside to play in the front "yard" with his new tricycle and new remote control car. We bounce the ball on the stucco over our front door, pretending there is a hoop there in a make-believe game of hoops. We also tried to play hide and seek for the first time.

I was "it" first. I realized Sam was ready to play when I caught him trying to hide behind a tree from me, a game he most likely picked up from his Nanny. So I told him I was going to "cover" (really, I can't leave this kid out of sight for 2 seconds) my eyes and count to 10. I did and he ran behind the same tree, but started to wander back before I got to 10, so I had to change tactics and tell him I was going to count to 5, thinking this would give him enough time to hide before losing interest.

I started to count to 5 and Sam ran to an open patch of grass in front of our house and turned around, with his back to me and just stood there, perfectly still but out in the wide open, presumably "hiding". I guess since he couldn't see me, he assumed I couldn't see him. I had to coach Sam abd tell him that just because he couldn't see me, didn't mean that I couldn't see him.

I think he lost interest soon after that and got back on his tryke and made motorcycles noises while he spun doughnuts on the sidewalk.

No comments: