Thursday, January 28, 2010

Peter: Initial Thoughts

Peter,

Ok little boy, you are four weeks old today and your transition into our home and lives has been as seamless as your transition into our hearts. I write this now, not because I have not had the time or could not have made the time, but because, like with your big brother Sam, I care not to waste a minute of your babyhood, time I could be staring into your sparkly grey eyes, smoothing your fuzzy raven hair or kissing your velvety soft cheeks, on cataloging your seconds on my computer but instead forever in my mind and in my arms.



When you were born we were surprised, delighted. Most thought sure you were a girl, I for one had no idea. We drove to the hospital with your Grandad while Grandma, Nanny & Sam eagerly waited at home for your arrival. We nervously joked about you being a boy, what we might name you, but nothing seemed quite right. Looking back, naturally nothing seemed right, there could be only one name for you not an entire list to sort through before we met you. Once you made your entrance into the world we took our time, spent a day gazing at you, getting to know you. From your very first moment, you were gentle, sweet and peaceful, my little Peter rabbit.



I imagine you as a little boy hopping playfully around a lush garden whispering to trees and playing gently with God's creatures. I know you will be an incredibly kind and thoughtful boy, and eventually a good man, like your daddy. You will wear you heart on your sleeve, listen when people speak and reach out to everyone you can.

We gave you many gifts upon your arrival, all of which cost nothing, a most important lesson you will learn:


We gave you the best big brother in the world. He will take the best care of you and you will be the best of friends. You will guide each other down twisting paths, you will lean on each other when times are tough, you will laugh more together than should be allowed. Never let each other go. You will always have a friend to turn to when you turn to your brother.



We gave you the most loving family. Nanny, Grandad, Ma and Udie, Uncle Dan, Aunt Jackie & Uncle Bill. They love you because you are you. You can always count on any of them and they will always be there for you.


We gave you a home. It has no furniture, it has no walls like the standard definition of a home, instead it has arms and hearts and laughter, it is the most safe place to reside. It is where ever we are together as a family.




I love you with all my heart, I miss you while your sleeping, I look forward to each day that we spend together with Sam and Dad. I will always love you, no matter what.
Mom

No comments: