Friday, January 8, 2010

A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words

In the case of Christmas morning 2009, the picture of Sam's face as he descended the stairs and emerged into the twinkling wonder of our tiny, woodland creature-themed Christmas tree is worth 10,000.

That picture is on its way, so for now, the words will have to suffice.

Early on, Elise and I had decided this would be the year Sam's got his 1st bike. Or trike, to be exact. We ordered it online. It came in a box. It was a Schwinn, kind of half tricycle/half Big Wheel. It was hid away in our garage until I could find time to put it again, hoping against hope that I would find time before Christmas eve and hoping against hope that it didn't come in 500 pieces with instructions written in Swedish or stick figure pictograms. I was granted both wishes. A Christmas miracle! There were only 5 pieces and I think I put it together Christmas eve eve.

I walked down to the garage, opened the box and very literally was awed. I had no idea how red and shiny it would be. I could even smell the new leather on the tassels hanging from the ends of the handlebars and the sickly sweet stale smell of brand new rubber. I knew immediately that if the color and sheen of this bike had this much effect on me, now, in the dim light of the garage, that it was going to absolutely blow Sam's socks off.

I was right.

It was everything a brand new tricycle sitting under a Christmas tree that Santa brought for you was supposed to be. Right down to the giant-sized bow perched on the handlebars. The Christmas lights twinkled on the polished aluminum frame. It sat there, begging to be rode, imploring to be taken on a ride, whispering, "Let's roll!"

Years from now I won't remember anything else Sam received that year or anything I received or anything I gave Elise, but I will never forget that bicycle nor the exclamation that followed his first glimpse.

"WOOO-OOW!!!" (two syllables!)

Christmas morning, Sam woke right before or at dawn. Elise ran downstairs to put the finishing touches on all. I held Sam at the top of the stairs. I recalled speculation as to when toddler's fully appreciate what goes on at Christmas. Not the biblical significance, but the other significance, i.e. the arrival of Santa, reindeer and the anticipation of Christmas morning. Well....there was no doubt Sam knew exactly what was going on. He had mastered Santa's, "Ho ho" (Not "Ho ho ho" but "Ho ho"...even better). He pointed to the roof of the Gardens Mall, where Santa's moose were parked. (Somehow "moose" was one of the 1st words Sam learned at a tiny cabin restaurant in Cannon Beach, Oregon..so, for now, Santa's sleigh is pulled by moose...not reindeer). We took walks at night through our neighborhood marvelling at the lights, the lit up alligators (only in Florida), to which Sam replied "Natch!" and drove through the Heights and Snug Harbor to see the grand light spectacles and the Santa attached to a boom swinging over someone's house. He learned the word "snow man" (and even today wonders where they went).

He wriggled in my arms as we waited for the okay from mom. When it came, I held his hand as he descended the stairs slowly and saw the bike. I got a lump in my throat at his reaction, his utter amazement, the thrill in his voice. Over the last year, I had witnessed his fascination with wheels, spokes, bikes and scooters and the excitement as a bike or skateboard or scooter zoomed by. Even then, Sam knew he wanted to do that, even though wasn't quite physically capable. He was born to ride.

Sam got the hang of unwrapping presents quickly. Each gift was accompanied by a "Whoah!" of appreciation. He meticulously unwrapped each gift, taking each individual piece of wrapping paper and depositing it in the trash before proceeding. We tried moving the trash bin closer to the tree to speed things along, but he pushed it back into the pantry (where it belongs) and kept going in this manner. Sometimes, I think we teach him too well.

Udie came home from work and Elise's Aunt Joyce and Uncle Robert showered all with gifts from the State Dept. :) Even the unborn baby received a gift, a onesie trimmed in lavender that read "Future Secretary of State". For the second year in a row, Elise stunned us with an amazing dinner, including her soon-to-be-patented standing rib roast with cranberry and orange sauce. I know I am leaving out details I don't want to. I couldn't write this sooner to keep them. I wish I had, but events mandated I wait. I am glad I wrote it now, so more didn't slip away.

No comments: