Sunday, March 7, 2010

Puppers McGoozles

Yesterday was Peter's smiliest day by far. He woke early, in the pre-dawn deep blue. I was still very, very groggy, but Elise said he woke beaming, grinning from ear-to-ear.

Later, he and I practiced 'baby owl' hooting while I folded laundry, quietly watching and cooing. He's become my nap-buddy. Again, he slept in the crook of my elbow when I crashed.

Just in the last few days, he has come into his own.

This morning, I was strapping him into his car seat and the bright green hat I had put on him had pulled down to one side by the fabric of the car seat and one of his little pointy ears was sticking out. I started teasing him, asking him, "Do I tell you what I want for Christmas or Santa Claus?" abd "Hey, where are all your cookies?" (Keebler elf). And Peter laughed out loud for the first time!

I find it somewhat of a relief that he is turning into such a smiley boy. I shouldn't be surprised. He comes from a very smiley family who has a lot to smile about and smiles often, but it seems--in light of everything going on and the frantic pace that goes along with it--he could have very easily absorbed some of the unintentional anxiety we are all producing. Instead, it seems as though someone was looking out for us and sent to us exactly what we needed at a time like this, a smiley little puppers who beams at just the right moment to fill the entire room with light and disperse immediately any darkness or tension.

No comments: