Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lincoln Memorial Talks

Even though Elise is leaving tomorrow with the boys to fly back to Florida to shoot a wedding, a 'first look', a 30-year anniversary and a 2-day old (maybe), she somehow found time between packing and planning to make the best pimento cheese sandwiches I've ever had. Okay, so they were the first pimento cheese sandwiches I'd ever had, but they were eaten on a blanket in front of the Lincoln Memorial (pictures--I'm sure--to come) which would have made them the best pimento cheese sandwiches I'd ever had even if I ate them everyday.

She packed a picnic for all of us. Sam ate noodles and chased baby ducks around the Reflecting Pool. We visited the Lincoln Memorial first. I don't think Sam knew what to think. I noticed a sign that read, "Ranger speaks at 3:30" with the 3:30 on an interchangeable sign I'm sure they rotate through the day. It was 3:28 and I saw the park ranger approaching the designated speaking spot. I said out loud, "He's going to talk at 3:30." That's when Sam burst into tears. Evidently, he thought I said Abraham Lincoln was going to talk at 3:30....which honestly, yes, would have been terrifying.

We quickly left. Sam took several minutes to calm down. It was understandable. Lincoln had an extremely somber countenance. Even though we told Sam that we thought he would've liked Lincoln were he still alive and that he was a very nice man, he didn't seem convinced. I don't think he'd ever seen anything so big before.

No comments: