Friday, June 18, 2010

"Earth Below Us..."

As you may know, Sam is somewhat of a bookworm. He will come up to us with a book and implore, "Reading books pwease." about 15 times a day. Usually, we oblige. But it's really hard to want to read Little Critter or Richard Scarry's 'Cars and Trucks' for the 15,000th time at 5:45 a.m.

Instead, I offer to tell him a story. It's much easier and usually has the same effect. The story I told this morning had Elise and I dressed up in crinkling aluminum-skinned space outfits and our apartment building turning into a rocket ship. All his new friends in the building had on their space suits, too, and so did their moms and dads. Everyone had helmets on and had to talk through their communicators like this, "Sam wants mik dis....roger that....eagle one out....over....krzkszk" and "This is ground control....reading books pwease.....over.....krsshz" in a muffled radio voice as though being transmitted over thousands of miles through the vacuum of space.

Then, I busted into the chorus of Peter Schilling's "Major Tom":

"4...3...2...1
Earth below us
Drifting falling
Floating weightless
Calling home.....whoooah...!"

Sam wasn't amused, but Pete started busting a gut. It could've been the hands waving back and forth over my head...I don't know. I told him if I ever took up stand-up comedy, I definitely would want him in the audience.

He just laughed and smiled. Thanks, Pete.

No comments: