Saturday, July 10, 2010

Last night I had my first dream about Brazil, one of those 'all-nighter' dreams.

It began on the long plane ride. Myself, Sam, Peter and my mother-in-law flying to meet Paul, who had forged ahead for work. Upon arriving at our new sprawling multilevel, Frank Lloyd Wright-esq home on a large body of water, we were greeted by our gardener who had one arm that was an elephants trunk. Handy(pun intended), me thinks for pool cleaning?! We make our way inside and wander through the dimly lit house and unfold room after room of mahogany Drexel Heritage furniture. I break down into tears, weeping, not about the elephant man but about the furniture. Celeste consoles me and we begin plans for slip covering everything, including the dining room table and china cabinet. I begin to unpack the kids clothes while Celeste gets Peter ready for bed....in the bathtub.

Being anxious in a new home I head back into the darkened bathroom to check on Peter (in the jet tub) and hear a rustling in the linen closet. I open the door and find a large rat...who looks just like one of the cartoon rats from the Disney movie Ratatouille. I scream at him to get out and he picks up his suitcase and places his tiny fedora on his head and huffs out.

Then I wake up.

I'm taking this dream as an advanced lesson in coping provided to me by my subconscious: Take the good with the bad. Nothing is too big to handle as a family....even bad furniture and babies sleeping in bathtubs. You were led to this adventure because you are the right family for the job. Use your innovation, creativity and open minds and use them to accept and adapt in a new environment.

No comments: