Thursday, October 28, 2010

Change, not easily transfomed at Coinstar.

The boys and I recently returned from another little getaway. More of a getaway for them than me this time, but seems I have come away, once again, the one more relaxed. This time however, it was from a heavy workload, a wedding a series of style portrait sessions and family shoots. I wondered from beneath all the weight I have been pressed, "Is a trip to Florida, 10 days of single parenting, a second round of goodbyes to friends and family, a gaggle of meetings and a return to DC with hours and hours of editing what I really need right now." Perhaps not, but when one makes a date to document the beginning of someones lives, or has an opportunity to say one last"'goodbye" one must follow through.

So we left vapor trails as we flew high above the cloudline and landed in West Palm Beach one last time before our move to Brazil.

With the boys in the best of hands with Nanny, I traveled to and from my meetings and sessions like I'd never left the hustle and bustle that had become Elise Hanna Photography. Like I'd never left. I illustrated sets, I hired my first second shooter, and stylist and together we created a few of the most inspired portrait sessions I've ever shot. To view sneak previews and full features of these please visit my blog here.

The boys and I visited every family member and friend that we possibly could, with time creeping quickly by.

Jidou & Petey watching football.

Sam, Pete and their Aunt Zanne, Aunt Cameron and Uncle Mark

Back at Casa Nanny, under Sam's watchful eye, Nanny perfected her Mickey Mouse pancakes each morning



The trio explored and swam each day and Sam slumbered on a 'special guest' bed in Nanny's room each night, as I remember doing at Gram's house many years ago.

At night, equally exhausted with the boys asleep in neighboring rooms, Celeste and I ate dinner, sipped wine and chatted. Sharing thanks for all of this


I spent girls night out with my best friend, took photos of her family and had a simple and splendid breakfast at her home in our pj's the following morning. Kids playing by our sides, we said one last tearful goodbye.

But, is it ever "goodbye,"... I'm learning, no. It is only ever "see you soon."

You see I've been feeling that I needed to mourn the 'change' of my business, my life, the loss of my friends, the shift in direction that I have been undergoing, anticipating and internalizing. And much like I had been fighting having to say a second round of goodbyes, I was fighting having to return to FL and be reminded of all I'd left behind by shooting 'one last wedding' feeling the weight of my camera heavy in my hand, on my heart.

Like a campfire slowly fizzling out, campers moved on, I went back, like an idiot, for something that I thought I'd forgotten. I'd stoke the embers just to have enough light to survey the area, expecting to be saddened by one last dimly lit look at the way things used to be. But instead of being reminded of all I had lost, I was reminded of why I keep taking photos, keep cultivating and growing my business, keep cultivating and encouraging my friendships wherever they may be...because taking pictures is the one thing (besides the obv. Paul & munchkins & cherished friends) that has ever truly awakened my soul. Ever.

You see I've always been good at moving on, or so it seems. Burying the memories so deep that they aren't easily dredged up. So deep that nostalgia never oozes up and stings my eyes masquerading as fresh tears. Though, as change always does, it makes us appreciate the past as we never could otherwise. And with a heavy dose of change as of late, I have instead grown to appreciate revisiting memories, friends, and times gone by, enduring the nostalgia and high fiving the tears as they roll down my face.

Here is to a new and improved Elise Hanna Photography. A new and improved Hanna/ville family, more diverse, more tight knit and wowza! more global than ever.

Kisses on all your faces.

e

No comments: