Sunday, January 30, 2011

Kitchen Hack and other recent Samness.



All the toys in the world and the best toys come straight out of my kitchen. You name it Sam has a use for it. Egg beaters as hair curlers (this is very uncomfortable, trust me, but creates a lovely bouffant), wine opener as a fork, pot lids as drums. The boy has quite an imagination. His latest "kitchen hack" has been this government issue colander. He calls it his "butterfly catcher." He has yet to catch a butterfly, but has caught himself and his little brother...by the head, "perfectly little-brother-head-sized, so why do I get in trouble when I catch him?" He takes off running with it to capture mosquitos, bees, and tiny moths and has even asked to take it to our friend's homes as a toy. "No."

. . .

Yesterday he demanded, as Paul and I got ready to go out for date night, that I should not wear "all" my make-up because "it makes you look too much different than a Dinosaur Train," his current favorite TV show. I don't know what this means, but I caked on the make-up against his request, because I fear now that he (or anyone) thinks without make up I look even a scant bit like a dinosaur...or a train for that matter. Terrifying. Is it just me?

. . .

As he walked Paul to the front gate to see him off as the shuttle arrived (as he does daily) and I reminded him to hurry back because breakfast was ready, he called over his shoulder to me...."Mommy, at this point, I need to walk Daddy to his school bus." Waved me off with his hand and stood waving to Paul and a van full of US diplomats in suits, in his tiny Thomas the Train briefs.

. . .

"Daddy, regular milk comes from chocolate milk." "Daddy, bees come from water." "Mommy, cows come from Nanny's house" "Mommy, ok, rain comes from water." He's beginning to get a grasp on the fact that all things are connected in this great world, but we're still working on what comes from what.

. . .

Finally, to out myself, last weekend on a family outing, Sam piped up from the back seat of the car, "Mommy, this city isn't shit, this city is beautiful!" Paul gave me 'the look' and I had to admit that maybe on one of our rougher days here, in the beginning, I may have muttered something like that from the front seat. Slipsies!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe when you're that small and walk in the woods 1/2 a block from my house and come across open grassy spots, you think THIS COULD BE A COW PASTURE!

--Nanny