Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Escola Days

9:00pm, The night before:


Sam tucked neatly in his bed. Tiny uniform laid out.
Puppy dog backpack packed with preschool essentials:
extra Thomas Train underwear, extra pants and snacks.
I asked Paul if we could include a tiny piece of Blanky in case of a tear-wiping emergency,
he said "No." He was probably right, but I sniffed sadly and slumped away as if I were
Blanky's owner myself.


7:30am The Big Day:


Tiny bento box lunch packed with watermelon, a peanut butter sandwich, crusts
neatly trimmed off, goldfish crackers, golden raisins and a treat......


Ok two treats.

7:45am

I melt.

Puppy & Mom
(sporting "I cried myself to sleep because my baby is going to school tomorrow eyes")



Puppy & Dad (and Wandering Pete)
(Dad sporting his diplomatic/"Which way to PTA?" suit)

Zippy: "Ready to go!"

7:55am

Rainbows on your first day of school are ALWAYS a sign of good luck.


8:00am

PTA! PTA! (oh wait do Brazilian preschools have PTA?)


Tiny lunch tables....again heart melting.

Sam's tiny classroom

Playground


8:10am, Goodbyes



We said our goodbyes, promised to return just a few hours later and headed off into the morning. It was a little strange to not have my little buddy in the back seat to narrate our drive. We dropped Paul off at work and then drove aimlessly for a few minutes deciding what to do. It seemed I could do anything (or anything a bit easier) with only one little munchkin to tote around, but instead it seemed I couldn't really do anything, not yet at least. From the backseat not once, but twice on the drive home, I heard Peter grunting questioningly and peeked back to see him pointing to Sam's car-seat. He looked at me as if to say "aren't you forgetting someone?! Where is Sam?" We dropped in unexpectedly at a good friends house who we knew would understand and where the echoing quiet wouldn't weigh so heavily on our hearts. We chatted for a bit before heading home. At about 10:30 the school called to tell me that Sam was feeling sad and could I please come pick him up. I raced over to the school, thinking I find a red eyed little boy waiting for me, but instead found Sam playing, smiling and waving "Hey!" to me, "Me just ready come home."

And we did.

No comments: