Thursday, March 31, 2011

Corrida das Estações

Last weekend, after much training, I attempted my first South American 5K. This is different than an American 5K, in that when you are running, the signs along the way are in kilometers, not miles. As in "hooray! you've made it 1k!" which makes me really excited until I realize a "K" is less than a mile. Oh and everyone is speaking Portuguese and wearing regular running shoes, except me, but that is how I like it. So......I did it, all by myself. My running partner, the other half of our running "Clube de Dois" missed the registration and there I was on my own...with a fabulous cheering squad.


Once I tackled my first hurdle, attaching my time chip to my Vibrams sans laces, and my second using a Brazilian honey bucket, I was off to the start line.


Being the passionate individual that I am, I was a bit overcome with reality as I waited in a crowd of Brazilians on the Esplanada in Brasilia, Brazil, about to run a 5k that I had found the time to train for, while becoming settled in a foreign country while raising two small boys and well you get the idea. Living the dream. So I felt a rush of emotion that threatened to spike tears as the countdown began and I tiptoed my way to the start line. I peered left and right for my boys and the other half of my running clube as I wove along the esplanada.


Another quick way to standout, don't wear your race-shirt to the race! "Hey white girl!"


Taking it all in (all 95 degrees of it) I ran down the main road (much like the Mall in DC) flanked on either side by government buildings and crazy cool, although, widely criticized for it's "communist-looking" architecture. I nearly missed the 5K turn around and headed for the 10K which was a challenge I wasn't quite up for, but instead headed back down the road towards the 5k finish.



Paul was designated "Race Photographer" a job which you can see he took none too lightly.


Yielding this lovely landscape of the National Congress Building.

I scoffed at the first water stop at three kilometers, noting that Paul wouldn't have wanted me to get water, I could hear him saying, "It's only a 5K Hew, you don't need water," I spotted my crew with Paul, "look at me I didn't take water!" cheering for me as I crept up on water stop number two, just shy of four kilometers, where I caved. I took a tiny, icy, foil-topped cup and dumped it on my head, took a sip and it was just the "hello! move it!" I needed to make it the rest of the shadeless route to five. I finished at 30:32 or something close to that, not great, but "Brazil!" So you get the idea.. I grabbed water, bananas and babies and spent the rest of the day relaxing with my lady friends at spa day.


Post Race Reunion


Mini-Coach Hanna and I on the awards platform. We decided to take first in the "USA, Mother-of-two, in hot pink Vibrams" category.

So race one of four races, (one for each season/estacoe) is complete. The races I am told reward you with a quarter of a medal for each race and you are given, upon completion, a lovely frame to gold your completed 'pie o' seasons.' A marvelous goal for me.


3 comments:

Shannon said...

Yay for finishing your first 5k in Brazil and And Yay for another Vibram wearing woman. I dig your VFFs, I have the Sprint in hot pink, love them.

Adrian Pratt said...

Well done, white girl! Wonderful post. The emotions you felt are well justified: it's been a heck of a journey.

eliseandpaul said...

Thank you guys!