Monday, March 14, 2011

Little House on The Ebay

A recent email-versation:

Paul:

> How much would you pay for 13 of those 'My First Little House' books? S&H is $7

Elise:

> No idea. Two roosters? A bale of hay? One days work on the cabin? An hour of live rollicking by Mr. Edwards? Dance lessons from Pa? A tin bowl of corn mush?

We are longing for Barnes and Noble. We want to go there on a rainy Saturday and order coffee and be glared at by the "Children's Department" manager as we read ten gazillion books to our kids, let their imaginations (and dirty hands) run wild on the train table, eat pastries, sip our hot Starbucks beverages and unintentionally leave a few crumbs behind while we sit on tiny benches for hours and leave with just one book and a couple of screaming toddlers.

...and if we couldn't do that we'd want to go to the library and arrive pink cheeked from a brisk walk, park our stroller in a non-indicated "stroller parking" area and abandon ship while we parked ourselves mid aisle to read and sip milk and coffee secretly from our insulated sippy cups and leave with two screaming toddlers after we checked out ten gazillion books, like we had just the day before.

We need new books, English books. If reading the same book for the ten thousandth time was harmful to ones health...we'd both be dead. We're desperate. Even the kids are desperate: I actually overheard Paul tell Sam last-night, "Listen pick out two books, but I'm not reading any coloring books, baby board books with only three words or puzzles."

Hence the emergency virtual Amazon shopping trip Paul was taking this morning for a few books* to add to our collection.


*We like little house books. It takes us back, way back, to the way it should be. More on that when I review my latest read "Radical Homemakers" I'm going off the deep end, in a good way....or was I always off the deep end?


2 comments:

Shannon said...

I feel your pain! Thank heavens that I was a teacher with and addiction to book orders in a past life. We have thousands of kids books so the kids don't whine too much about reading the same book, they have choices. The oldest is outgrowing my collection and is discovering Amazon and is already rooting for a kindle of his own.

My kindle is saving my sanity! It is beyond heavenly to NEED a new read and be able to browse for it, order it and be reading all in the same day. I still am planning to spend one FULL day at B&N this summer reading to hearts content and sipping a caramel latte!

Meredith said...

This post punched me in the gut!! I looooooooooooonnnnnnnnggg for a library - the old book smell, the stacks of checkouts, the endless possibilities!