Monday, May 16, 2011

Sorvete Truck

For the past few months now, I've stood my ground during nap-time when the ice cream truck rolls by blaring none other than "Fur Elise" from it's tiny ice-cream truck speakers, beckoning me to the roadside for an ice cold picola.

Until Saturday.....

When I could hold back no longer. I grabbed Sam by the hand, my tiny pink plastic cup of change and ran to the street giggling and shouting "Sorvete!" No Brazilian ice-cream truck, we would not resist your temptation any longer. This was too good of a mother-son experience to pass up again.....



We missed him on his way down the road, but spied him creeping back up from the cul-de-sac and jumped up and down a little (possibly jingling our change cup a bit) as we flagged him down. As he neared, we searched eagerly, the sides of the truck, for images of our desired frosty delights and the word "Sorvete", but we read only this: "GAS," which in any language, does not read "Ice-Cream."



Turns out Brazilians respond to the tinkling ice-cream musac sounds of Beethoven to entice them out of their homes to buy gas for their propane grills, not to buy frosty treats. Yet, I was the one who looked silly jumping up and down excitedly about to buy my baby a full tank of propane.



You win this time Brazilian gas truck man, but now we know how you get Brazilians out of their homes, we'll take your little music tricks and we'll make millions selling them ice-cream, American-style, when they least expect it.....

2 comments:

Natalie said...

It's even funnier to read about it here. I love it!

FFF said...

As a brazilian I'm getting a lot of laugh reading about your experiences. How can ice-cream be associated in any way to Fur Elise? (not that this music and gas get along together either, but...)