Friday, July 29, 2011

Pet Rhino


Some kids ask for puppy dogs and kitty cats, today Sam asked me if we could get a pet Rhinoceros. I explained that they are just too big, but he corrected me, taking my chin in his palm and directing my attention to a small photo in his animal book, "They are just bitsy mom, look!" I reminded him of the rhino we saw at the zoo and he assured me it would be fine, "we could keep him in the backyard." After discussing that that being charged by a rhino might not make playing soccer in the backyard a whole lot of fun, he changed his mind and said maybe he would like a kitty someday instead. He did go on to ask how it WOULD be possible to someday have a rhinoceros and I racked my brain wanting to give him every opportunity to fulfill his dreams. I said "You could be a vet and work at the zoo and you could work with rhinoceros' and they would be like your pet." He giggled excitedly and said "Yes, I'm going to do that."

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I love it! And I'm proud of you for not shattering his dreams. I remember when I was a kid I wanted to be a horse jockey and my grandpa immediately squelched it by telling me I was too tall already and thus too big to be a jockey. It was true but I'm sure I'd have figured it out on my own. Points for a great mom moment!