Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Best Part of Your Day

Sam’s new trick for not going to bed right away, “I’m still a little bit hungry.”

This one is hard to say no to and is relatively painless. I made him a peanut butter sandwich on linhaça-quinoa bread. After Sam spent 15 minutes picking linseeds out of his bread, he climbed up onto the counter and spent another 5 minutes examining the contents of the cabinets. Finally, he settled on a bowl of cheerios, which he quietly ate while I washed dishes. When he was done, he slunk back to bed.

I followed him.

“You can say ‘goodnight’, you know.”

“Sit on my bed for a minute.”

“What was the best part of your day?”

“Watching TV.” He answered three times, in case I didn’t understand the first two times that he really likes watching TV. One of his new favorites is Dinosaur Dan. This kids that knows everything about dinosaurs and either sees or imagines dinosaurs roaming the school grounds. So, in other words, he’s a lot like Sam who, earlier in the evening, requested we read “a little bit” about the Ceratopsian dinosaurs.

“What was the best part of your day?” he asked me.

“The best part of my day was you asking me what the best part of my day was.”

“I’m so tired.”

“Then go to sleep.”

1 comment:

Natalie said...

That's the scam Charlie tries to pull lately as well. We finally had to tell him at dinner that if he's hungry he'd better eat now 'cause he's done for the night. Little stinkers.