Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas-Times

It's beginning to look, and feel, a lot like a Brazilian Christmas! Last year we were just three weeks into our tour here in Brasilia, with none of our worldly possessions and we were like reindeer in the headlights. I don't remember seeing Christmas decorations, or hearing Christmas music, I only remember a small and sparse plastic tree decorated with just the handful of decorations I had packed in my suitcase sitting upon a strangely not-my-style Drexel Heritage pedestal table a lot of words I didn't understand and strange smells and sights assaulting my senses. This year is quite different...

Everywhere we go there are the lights and sounds and scents of Christmas. The things that seemed 'strange and foreign' last year, seem perfectly holiday-like this year. Shelves and shelves of Panettone, piles and baskets of Bacalhau, gas station attendants in Santa hats and angry honking in the grocery store parking lot. It's Christmas any way you slice it...or Feliz Natal.

I was asked to participate in my very first holiday cookie exchange, which is great, seriously... typically I am anti "large gathering of ladies" I have to maintain my street-cred, but I love to bake and I was flattered to be invited to play. I do fancy, but these women were serious and I was thus initiated into the harsh, competitive world of cookie exchanges. I had heard rumor of the cut-throat cookie ladies and I was not to be outdone. I busted out a new fusion recipe of Rum Raisin Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies and threw myself in a tie for first. After a re-vote, I took second...to my very wonderful friend Alison, so I didn't have to hike my apron up and kick any cookie rear.


BSB Cookie Exchange Competitors


My Cookies


The Loot (I told you these women were serious!)


The tiny cookie thief. He made off with four chocolate covered Pao de Mel before I even noticed him there!


7 months of baby girl...and a few dozen cookies.


Our prize, the worlds cutest aprons. Made by our hostess.

As I furiously baked 180 cookies, Paul, accompanied by the most rigid safety team, Pete and Sam headed outside to string up our Christmas lights.


Thankfully our home was already equipped with all the nails for hanging lights, leaving the Cheeto-crunching safety team to merely keep Paul from tumbling off the ladder. Miraculously, everyone survived. We held an official lighting ceremony with our good friends complete with a necessary bit of Clark Griswald family drumroll.

Christmas lights and pitanga trees.



We spent the rest of the evening indulging in a family movie night, complete with Mickey's Christmas, hot cocoa and "kocorn" as Pete calls popcorn.

...and a few blueberry caipirinhas!



Feliz Natal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was googling apron ideas for this year and I came across this! Clementine was a cutie even before she was born- You bring a spark to everywhere that you go! Beijinhos, Margaret