Thursday, January 12, 2012

T-rex saves the day!

This morning Sam was a little grumpy as he sat pouting at the kitchen table with a plate of scrambled eggs and pao de queijo in front of him. I had noticed and remarked, trying to lighten up the mood, that one of the pao de queijo that had its top cracked off looked a bit like an egg...but everything that looks like an egg here is a dinosaur egg. He was still grumpy. In a desperate attempt to get him to smile, I snuck away amidst the whining in to the playroom and slipped a tiny plastic T-Rex in the pocket of my hoodie. I walked casually back in, sat back down and pulled an "Oh my gosh look over there at that big bug" trick that everyone always falls for. Sam looked away and with just enough time I slipped the T-Rex into the dinosaur queijo. When he turned back around and saw it he jumped out of his chair and like a 16 year old kid in disbelief shouted "Oh Whoa, No WAY!" I think he thought at first it was the big bug I had distracted him with, then a real, but tiny hatching dinosaur...equally as frightening! When he figured out what it was he laughed. Bad mood...cured. We all laughed...mostly at his reaction and the rest of the morning went on without a hitch.



Over lunch the same dinosaur, still lingering at the kitchen table turned a tired Pete into yogurt eating machine and the tiny T-Rex into spoon. Pete ate his entire yogurt off of the upper body and disproportionately small arms of the bitsy T-Rex.





Our maid looked on in disbelief, but this is what being a little boy is all about...and if they eat...willingly...off the stunted arms of a plastic T-Rex, I'm all for it. In fact, I'm considering doing away with all our silverware and replacing it with tiny dinosaurs. Always an interesting meal at the Hanna house!