Friday, May 10, 2013

The Girl

In honor of Mother's Day Sunday and in dedication to the woman in my life, I share the following words and music with you.

The first time I heard this song, I was riding my shuttle bus back from work to our corporate housing apartment. A small lump caught in my throat thinking of the woman I love and adored and who loved and adored me enough in return to live in such dismal quarters with me. For this alone, I will never have the words to thank or the means to compensate her for making this sacrifice.

This song comes closer to being able to accomplish this task than I ever could....


I wish I could do better by you,
'cause that's what you deserve
You sacrifice so much of your life
In order for this to work.

While I'm off chasing my own dreams
Sailing around the world
Please know that I'm yours to keep
My beautiful girl

When you cry a piece of my heart dies
Knowing that I may have been the cause
If you were to leave
Fulfill someone else's dreams
I think I might totally be lost
You don't ask for no diamond rings no delicate string of pearls
That's why I wrote this song to sing 
My beautiful girl

"The Girl" by City and Colour

In this forum, we tend to dwell on the romance and adventure in our lives. That's in both our bones. We're both romantics and adventurers at heart. That's not to say it is always easy, beautiful or thrilling. It is often painstakingly difficult to move yourself, your lives, your small children, all your worldy possession and your respective careers back and forth across the globe. But I believe at this point, neither Elise nor I would have it any other way. We'll see what the future holds, but for now, together we chase our dreams, knowing that it won't always be easy and that someday it may be very hard. I hope to push those days as far into the future as possible.

I derive great comfort in knowing that no matter what happens between now and 2072, in the end I will look up into her face, her beautiful brown eyes, and be held in her arms. I will tell her not to cry, as I try myself not to cry, and thank her for the beautiful life she gave me.

Happy Mother's Day, hewie.

1 comment: