Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Magic Lasso and an Invisible Jet

Clementine is waaay into the Super Friends, the same, late '70's/early '80's cartoon I watched as a youth. Honestly, I am not sure if it is the show or watching TV in general that enthralls her so, but she and the boys decided they wanted to be Super Friends for Halloween, so we ordered super-hero costumes off Amazon for all.

Clementine is going to be Wonder Woman. When their costumes arrived in the mail, they all tried them on. Clementine was thrilled with the red and white leather boots which--on her--came up to her hips and was quick to notice that there was no magic lasso.

We told her we could easily make her one with a rope and some of Elise's gold spray paint. This seemed ok. Clementine said, "Only other thing Wonder Woman have is boobs."

True story.

Presumably, she will also need an invisible jet, but this might be easier to fudge than boobs. It is invisible, after all.

When I tell everyone it is time to go to bed at night, I naturally get a lot of resistance. As I whisk Sam and Pete off to bed in their room, tuck them in and kiss them goodnight. Clementine sneaks a couple of last book to read and climbs into my spot in mine and Elise's bed. She's been falling asleep there most nights, next to Elise.

I go downstairs and finish the dinner dishes and by the time I come up stairs to retire myself, she is usually asleep and easily transferred to her own bed in her own room.

Sometimes, I can get her to lie in my arms and fall asleep. This is not very often as she has usually made a beeline for my bed while my efforts are focused on wrestling Peter and Sam to rest and, as she gets tired, she rebuffs my efforts and wants only her mother. But when I do, it is a rare treat.

I kiss her on top of her head and stroke her hair. Sometimes, she will hike her shirt up in the back for me to scratch her back. The other night, I whispered to her, "Good night, Wonder Woman." I am not sure where it came from. It just slipped out, but was wholly appropriate. 

No comments: