Monday, July 9, 2018

4th x 2

We were lucky enough to be treated to two amazing fireworks shows in celebration of the 4th of July.

On July 2nd, my office hosted the official reception. For the first time since living overseas, I didn't have to work the party, so Elise and I took the kids to Buffalo Rings and Dings to watch Brazil play in the World Cup. Afterwards, we headed home to watch the fireworks display. We live close enough to my office that you could see them from the roof of our building.



As you can see they were pretty impressive, lighting up entire neighborhoods and perhaps leading some of our neighbors to believe hostilities to the north of us had drifted over the border. I heard the next day the fireworks were so big and so loud they had blasted out the back window of one of the cars nearby. I have also heard it said, the fireworks show will not nearly be this big or loud next year. 




The following Friday, on July 6th, was the community celebration for everyone working at my office. There was bounce houses, fire trucks, motorcycles, beer, burgers, and shawarma. Neither Elise or I were particularly looking forward to it -- partly because it was like 95 degrees outside -- but it ended up being a lot of fun.

They shot off fireworks again, and they were even better than the previous show, if that were at all possible, because they were literally going off right over our heads. It was the best fireworks I've ever seen. I guess there is something to be said for lighting off fireworks in countries with more relaxed safety standards than we might have in the States. 


Peter's expression here pretty much says it all. 

No comments: