Monday, July 9, 2018

Yellah Brazil!

World Cup mania has gripped the Hanna household as we cheer for our "native" Seleção, aka team Brazil.

I never really pictured myself ever watching soccer ("football" here in Jordan). Much less watching an entire game (I guess they're called "matches") from start to finish and cheering for an outcome. But here I am, cheering fervently for Neymar and Marcelo along with an entire país de dimensões continentais, as they call Brazil, a country the size of a continent.

Surprisingly, Jordanians love cheering for Brazil, too, and I haven't quite figured out the connection. My brother, Carlton, recently stopped by for a two day visit on his way to Tel Aviv for work and we headed over to Buffalo Wings and Dings, our go-to local sports bar to take in the end of the Brazil game.


And the kids enjoyed posing with the faux World Cup trophy.





We returned a few days later to watch Brazil face Mexico. Elise even bought face paint!



I need not remind you, Clementine was born in Brazil. She's our lil brasileirinha. This is our original Brazil flag, the one I was given when we were first assigned to Brasilia. Glad to see it is getting some good use!


Sadly, Brazil was eliminated from the tournament, though they played the second half of their last game valiantly. We're looking forward to perhaps hitting up Rings and Ding one more time for the final match, but it won't be the same without the boys in yellow. 

No comments: