Saturday, January 18, 2020

Ceyendurance NCC Sprint Triathlon

Last weekend, Elise and I competed in our first triathlon in Sri Lanka. It was also my first triathlon in more than 15 years and the first triathlon Elise and I competed in at the same time.

It was the first race I'd done with a pool swim. I was a little skeptical at first, but thought the swim and the whole race was executed really well. 

The swim was 600 meters. All the racers started at one end of a 25 meter pool and zig zagged back and forth 300 meters in the first pool before climbing out and jumping in and swimming 300 meters in the second pool. We started 10 seconds apart, so it was inevitable people would be swimming over, around, and on top of one another just like in an open water swim! 

Surprisingly, the race started on time at 5:45. We brought the kids with us, having to rise them early, and planted them in the concrete bleachers poolside with a book, some snacks, a supply of mosquito repellent, and instructions to keep an eye on one another. As I completed the swim and sprinter into transition, I saw them cheering for us and gave them high-fives as I ran by. 

The kids found their way to the road, too, and we were able to see them as we completed seven laps of the bike and two laps of the run course. Even though I hadn't swum or cycled very much, I was happy with how I did.. finishing first in my age group and fifth overall. Elise finished second in her age group.

After the race, it was the boys' turn. Peter and Sam competed in the Junior Aquathon and they both totally brought it.







No comments: