Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pack-out

While Sam and Elise got to go sledding in Cheney, WA, I was stuck back in D.C. to oversee the pack-out.

The actual pack-out day was pretty anticlimatic. I had spent all day Saturday and Sunday tearing apart our apartment in preparation for today, organizing and pre-packing as much as I could. I would say my hard work paid out as I got the movers in and out and under 4 hours, so quickly the traveler of Pike Place roast I had hauled back from Bucky's hadn't even gotten cold yet.

Nothing will quite compare to our first pack-out from Florida. Before the movers arrived I wondered if there would be a character equal to the woman from our original move who tore packing tape with her teeth or, Carl, the charismatic truck driver from Long Island or New Jersey, I don't exactly remember which. There was a rough woman, but she had no teeth, and there was no Carl, just Jose, Orlando, Mary and another Jose.

I made sure to provide donuts and coffee, but I ended up drinking most of the coffee and eating 3 donuts. The highlight of the move was that I waaaaaay underestimated how much 700 lbs was for our air freight, so as one Jose was packing and weighing and tallying the air frieght, I was racing the other Jose who was packing our other stuff, pulling it out to add to the items that would come faster, i.e. more clothes and a lot of the goodies we bought at Costco that are either unavailable or exorbiantly expensive in Brazil like pancake mix, peanut butter, ziploc baggies, DIAPERS.

I like to travel, but I don't like to pack. I hope it becomes one of the things I am good at despite myself.




No comments: