Friday, February 11, 2011

Report Cartao

Today a friend came over while our boys were at preschool together to do a cool project (photos to come) and confided in me a story about our sweet boy.

You see Sam has taken to preschool like a fish to water. No tears, all smiles, new found confidence, a sense of importance and all around better behavior at home. This is not always the case during the first weeks of preschool as you know. We were unsure of how Sam would adjust, but for the moment our boy is quite joyful having found a place he loves here in Brasilia and that fills us with joy....that and this story:

Our friends son...not so much. He is nearly two years older than Sam and just not feeling like he likes school. She reports that tears flow everyday and I can hear the breaking heart in the voice of his mom. So when she reported this morning that he refused to get out of the car at school, she came in to see if anyone could help. She immediately spied Sam at a table alone eating an early lunch (8:30am...he takes after his mother) with a wide grin on his face, she asked his teacher if Sam might come out and help. Sam agreed and the teacher walked with him out to the car where the little boy sat, firmly (re)buckled into his seat. My friend reports that Sam took him by his hand and encouraged him sweetly to "Come in, it's fun! We'll play, we'll have snacks. Don't cry."

Sam later reported to me that "____ had a good day. He didn't cry, he played and had fun day!"

I was so proud of him, I nearly cried. We've always seen this quality in him and encouraged it, I just hoped that when given the opportunity on his own he would let it shine. Looks as though he did.


Super Sam: "Thank you. My work is done here....milk please!"


5 comments:

Daniela Swider said...

That would melt any parent's heart. That's when you know you are doing a good job raising your kids!

Anonymous said...

I did cry ... someone has taken Sam by the hand, smiled, and talked with him sweetly about why he might want to do this or that, and encouraged their son toward a new experience.
--Nanny

Aunt Joyce said...

Oh yea,just like his mother!!! Great story for your FS stories. Lov U guys!

AMS said...

Beautiful!

Sarah Novak said...

So touching - I want my child to be just like yours. :) Proud Mommy moment indeed, I can't think of a quality I'd rather have in my child than compassion/empathy...

Love to you all.