Friday, May 27, 2011

Tia Paula

You could look at us and say we are strong, as a family, as parents, as humans. Here we are a thousand billion miles from home and we're ok. We've said goodbye and realized that is really isn't, we've left our home and realized it really wasn't, we took our cozy lives, packed up our beach towels and our thousand bikes and turned it on it's head. Why? A lot of reasons I think, a few reasons I know, but one for sure: If we never did this, challenged ourselves, wrote down our dreams and followed them word for word, then how would we ever know? If we could do it, if it was possible, what or who we might have missed. We have one motto: "No Regrets." But, that doesn't mean it's always easy.

Today I dropped Sam off at school and the headmaster pulled me aside. She told me today would be her last day. I was sideswiped by my emotions, hiding big swelling tears behind my Wayfarers. She told me she'd be leaving for the United States next week, to begin to study English in Colorado. We could not be happier for her. You see Tia (Aunt) Paula is more than just the administrator at Sam's school, she was our hand to hold as we grasped the Portuguese language and indulged us with stories of each day in English so I'd know what was going on. She was our reassurance that is was ok to let go of Sam's hand as we left him each day that hers would stand gently by when we had gone. Some days Sam would report that he was "tired" or "sad" or just overwhelmed with a new language surrounding him. He'd tell us that Tia Paula lent him her lap for the morning, that together they torn paper for projects in preparation for the next days activity. She kissed and hugged him "Oi" and "Tchau" each and every day and always greeted him with a great warm smile. They'd hang his backpack and walk off hand in hand to start the day.

It takes a village they say and we are becoming believers that is for sure. Our village may be much larger than most and spread out throughout the world, but for each and every person that touches our hearts as a result of the chances we've taken, we are thankful for, and we'll never regret having had to face big changes to have included them in our story. My only regret is not having been able to write my thank you card to her in Portuguese after all the grace in English she extended to me.

No comments: