Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Weekend

I admit, I spun the DPO Russian Roulette wheel of "OMG Amazon Prime, I need this now, but live in South America" fun. Having had good DPO luck recently, I felt confident, I closed my eyes, pressed "Purchase Now," and failed. Pete's costume never arrived.

I waited, like a good DPO mail box owner until the last possible minute, but on Thursday, Paul showed up at home once again, packageless. Friday morning, just before the embassy trick or treat, Peter and I set out on a mission: To create a costume in the likes of Pete's second favorite recent thing (ok one day he saw one and smiled) a hot air balloon. It seemed easy enough and had I explored the Portuguese for "helium," "there is no party," "I need it today dammit," I would have been totally set. I stuttered my way through and came home with all the necessary objects. I settled in with my hot glue gun, 50 yards of kitchen twine and during naps I whipped up this:



It was adorable....for one minute. Then is was still adorable...as I carried it around the embassy behind him, awkwardly explaining myself to each passer-by.


Sam rocked himself as "T-Rex of the Ocean," like we've never seen (nor heard of) and roared in the face of anyone that asked him what he was. We tricked and treated to all the less horrifying sections of the embassy avoiding any Halloween inspired nightmares, and munched hot dogs before retiring home for Halloween story time, courtesy of Nanny. Thanks Nanny!

...But not before I forced Peter back into his costume for a photo which ended after 3...

2....

1...


With what can only be described as: "Classic Pete. The story of a tiny, cute boy who you should never cross."

Saturday we gathered in true Hanna family, post-nap-style, without pants for a little pumpkin carving session. Peter, always the extremist, opted to carve completely in the nude. Work it Pete. Paul may or may not have been sipping wine at 3pm, whilst wielding a knife, and Sam may or may not have been also carving pumpkin shards with a tiny butter knife. (We ask that you not look too closely for these parenting bloopers.)




We ended the evening with a "Spooky Bath" lit only by glow-sticks.




Resulting in the following series of Sam which can only be described as, "The Faces of Sam." We are beginning to think the best career option for him will be actor....




On Monday, Sam's Brazilian preschool, treated the few American students (and all of the Brazilian students) to Halloween celebration in their honor. The kids were asked to come in costume and each received a bag of treats to take home. We said thank you, by making and decorating a gaggle of owl cupcakes to share with his class.




On Monday night we joined about 20 other embassy families for a Halloween potluck, cupcake walk, bobbing for apples and Trunk-or-Treating. We decorated the back of the Subaru and assigned Paul the title of, "Official Candy Hander-Outer," and Trunked or Treated our way around to our friends cars, bribing them out of our favorite non-Brazilian candies.


The boys later zonked out while reading books beneath the glowing pumpkin garland I'd installed in their room for the holiday. A wonderful weekend was had by all.


3 comments:

Aunt J said...

You guys are the best parents!! Brings back a lot of memories trick or treating in different countries. And how clever are you with costumes. Thanks for sharing. See you Sunday. Safe flight!!

Lisa said...

The hot air balloon was brilliant even if it didn't work out. And I am going to steak the glow stick bath idea. My boys will love it.

Natalie said...

Where do you come up with this stuff? The hot air balloon was fantastic. I love it! Glow stick baths? Pumpkin light room decor? Owl cupcakes? I'm pretty sure I'm failing as a mother. How do you have time to do all this stuff WHILE PREGNANT? I can barely scrounge up dinner in the evenings and half the time it's frozen pizza. Sheesh.