Monday, April 30, 2012

"S-Forty-E"

I was lying on the love seat with my legs propped up on a pillow and my feet flopped over the armrest. I'm not tall, but the love seat is still too short, yet this has been my preferred sleeping spot when Clementine wakes early, so Elise can have a few minutes of grunt-free sleep.

I had been there since 4:45 when Clementine woke for the first time. I heard the patter of little feet. It was still dark outside. Sam peeked down at me over the banister separating the living room from the dining room.

"Can I watch a little bit of TV?" he asks.

"What time is it?"

He disappears, only to repair a few minutes later.

"S-forty-E."

"It's not time to get up yet. Come lay down next to me until it's time to get up." I make room for him, and he reluctantly tucks into the curve of my body on the love seat that didn't fit me alone and now doesn't fit Sam and I together. He stays there for a few minutes--an eternity for him, I'm sure--until it is time to get up, later than S-forty-E, at least.

No comments: