Saturday, August 17, 2013

Training Wheels and Freedom

Sam told me this week he was ready to swim without his water-wings and he did. Today, he told me he was ready to ride his bike with no training wheels and tonight, on his first try, with his dad running along behind him, he did it. He's doing it right this very second.

I'll never forget the day I learned to ride my bike with my dad on B street in Blaine. I'll never forget Sam's either. A sense of freedom you never knew existed, but that you can enjoy for your entire life.

We've always trusted Sam's cautious nature and we've always let him take his time. He has always, in his own time, done great things, with great confidence that he earned honestly, over time. He teaches me great things about patience and following my own path on my own time, which does not come as naturally to me at 34 as it does to my sweet boy at 5 and a half.

Ride on little boy.

No comments: