Friday, January 24, 2014

Good Thoughts

I don't know at what age kids start to think that monsters live under their bed or lurk in their wardrobes. We have, thankfully, yet to experience this phase.

I think we've done a mostly pretty good job of potentially nightmare-inducing imagery from them. Sam is his own best filter. He would cover his eyes during Sesame Street.

Occasionally, after I put him to bed, turn out the lights, and am about to leave the room, he will tell me, "I'm not having good thoughts."

I'm not entirely sure if he is really having bad thoughts, or if he is just trying to squeeze from me the last drop of my attention before he goes to sleep for the night. Either way, it works. I stop, turn around, and say to him through the mosquito netting something to the effect of, "Think about all the fun you had with your friends at sport day today and about going to the zoo tomorrow."

Rarely, does he come into our room in the middle of the night and tell me he is not having good thoughts, but it does happen. Depending on how tired I am I will tell him, "Think about swimming in the pool tomorrow and eating pancakes for breakfast." then roll over and go back to sleep as he pads, ameliorated, back to his bed, or I will walk him back to his bed, pull back the mosquito netting, and crawl under it with him, until he falls back to sleep.

Like I said, I don't really know if he is really having bad thoughts or not, but I don't think that's really the point, either. 

No comments: